Did you grow up taking quizzes in magazines? I did on occasion… magazines were a bit of a luxury in my house. Whenever I could get my hands on a magazine – at the doctor’s office, the library, a friend’s house, etc – I flipped through it quickly to see if I could find a quiz. I would be quite surprised if many of you didn’t do the exact same thing. I assume that many of us have loved quizzes and pop psychology for a long time 🙂
These days quizzes in magazines can be quite fancy, but when I was growing up they had a basic format that they rarely deviated from. Magazine quizzes were basic – ten questions and three outcomes. They tended to address a simple life issue, and there was usually a result at each extreme and one in the middle which was the “best” result. The questions tended to revolve around life scenarios… “what would you do?” and “how would you react?” type questions. A lot of magazines used this type of quiz, but the ones I remember most were Teen, Seventeen, Sassy, and of course, Cosmopolitan.
If you look at some of the early Blogthings quizzes, many of them are in this early “magazine” style. As I learned more about programming and writing, my quizzes got more complicated and varied. However, the magazine style of writing quizzes still has a place in my heart, and I thought it would be fun to write one in that way for nostalgia’s sake. So I present How Optimistic Are You?, an old fashioned women’s magazine style quiz – but updated for a more diverse and modern audience 🙂 Let me know what you get on this one!
- What do you get on How Optimistic Are You? Is it true for you?
- Do you think there is such a thing as being too optimistic? Why or why not?
- Did you take magazines in quizzes when you were growing up? Which magazines?
- What things in your life do you tend to be optimistic about?
- What things in your life do you tend to be pessimistic about?
- Take Are You An Optimist or Pessimist? What do you think of your result?