New Quiz: Are You a Diary or a Journal Quiz?

woman writing in diary outside

Does a journal or diary suit you better?

Do you write in a diary or journal? I love to write, but I honestly have not been much of either over the years. As a young girl, I kept a diary occasionally because I thought that was what I was supposed to do. But I never made a habit of it, and most of my journals sat empty save for a couple entries at the beginning. I suppose I always thought my life or point of view was not that interesting and not really worth writing down. I do wish that I had written a journal during my youth though. It would be fun to go back over as an adult πŸ™‚

When one of this blog’s readers (hi!Β Pamu) suggested a quiz to determine whether you are a diary or journal person, it got me thinking. Maybe I tried the wrong kind of journaling or diary writing when I was young. After all, I do like to write. Maybe I simply need to experiment more with the various ways of chronicling my life. It is an old art form, as many historical figures kept journals!

Anyway, I developed my latest quiz to show you whether a journal or diary is best for your personality type:Β Are You a Diary or a Journal Quiz?Β Not only will it tell you if you’re better suited for a journal or diary, it will tell you what kind of journal or diary is best for you. Give this one a whirl, and let me know what you think of your result.

1. What do you get onΒ Are You a Diary or a Journal Quiz?Β Is it true for you?
  2. Do you keep a diary or journal currently? Why or why not?
  3. Do you have any diaries or journals from your youth that you are able to look back on? Or anything else to remind you of what you were like?

P.S. Don’t miss any Blogthings quizzes or news! Learn about each week’s new quizzes by signing up forΒ Blogthings Weekly!

19 thoughts on “New Quiz: Are You a Diary or a Journal Quiz?

1. Claudya Margaretta

I got Private Journal and it’s pretty much true, except the fact that I’d rather journaling on my personal blog than keeping it to a book privately. Cause I’d lost my books, so keeping it online is much more reliable.

It’s true that I used journal to share the ideas and thoughts that I contemplate & believe. And I’m not really good at sharing daily events, that’s awkward to me =D

I think that sharing daily events is awkward for me as well. I just don’t find my own life that interesting πŸ˜‰

You Are a Private Journal

Journaling is something you take pretty seriously. For you, it’s a form of reflection and self-growth.
    You aren’t the type to delight in a daily diary, but you do turn to your journal when you need to work out a problem or issue.

In fact, your journal may not even include much of the day’s events. You write more about feelings and ideas.
    Through writing, you are able to analyze and work through what is going on in your life. You may even get a few insights as well.

You believe that your journal should be your own private business. It’s where you share things that you would never tell the world.
    You guard your journal with your life, and you’re willing to destroy it before letting it fall into the wrong hands.

Never, because they would always be found and haunt me. :/
    Yes, but they were embarrassing, adorable, and bittersweet at the same time.

I think that fits the result then! In this instance, I have used diary to mean day to day events and journal to mean feelings and ideas πŸ™‚

I got the social diary and while I do spend lots of time on Facebook, I’m not sharing much about myself except about what things I like and what amuses me and…these quizzes! I’m much more a Private Journal. I have never had a daily habit but I do make lists and create inventions (a better litter box/ sifter, etc.) and I like doing Art Journals. I just like a notebook that will contain everything. I do have a habit of buying journals, even if I don’t fill them. And I have even made some.
    I do have things written from my youth. I don’t really like reading over past personal things I’ve written. It’s too uncomfortable and embarrassing. And I’ve always been paranoid that others may read it. I do enjoy the process of writing though and I have poetry and stories from creative writing that I still like to look over. If I weren’t addicted to being online I would most certainly be putting more things on paper.

I think my lack of writing things down is paranoia a bit too! I don’t want anyone reading my most personal thoughts, even (especially?) my future self.

Things like Facebook or blogs are great for chronicling one’s life in a light sort of way. I like the idea of being able to look back on what I was doing five or ten years ago, in a nostalgia sort of way πŸ™‚

4. Rebecca

Photo Journal, Had not thought about it, but I believe things have shifted and that I should give it a try. Haven’t blogged since my cat died in November, (silly, I know) perhaps photo journal/blogging may be the new direction I need! Thx Blogthings!

Awww, I’m sorry about your cat. Not at all silly. That would take me out of commission too.

I’m glad this quiz could give you a bit of inspiration πŸ™‚

5. Christina

1) What do you get on Are You a Diary or a Journal Quiz? Is it true for you?

I got Private Journal as my result. I’d say it’s very accurate. My angsty-teenage self used to write nearly every day, but over the years my writing habit has turned into a, “write to clear my head” kind of thing. πŸ˜›

2) Do you keep a diary or journal currently? Why or why not?

I do write in a journal every now and then. I started writing a loooooong (lol) time ago and I found it was a good way to let some steam off.

3) Do you have any diaries or journals from your youth that you are able to look back on? Or anything else to remind you of what you were like?

Yes, I have several years worth of notebooks. Some of it makes me cringe, while others make me realize how much things have changed. I think it’s nice to have something to compare yourself with, even the cringe-worthy stuff. haha.

Kudos on this quiz. I really liked this one. πŸ™‚

Thanks for your comment! I’m glad to see that you thought the private journal outcome fit you, because no one else has said that yet. I was worried that I was off base in my description πŸ™‚

I envy those who can write to clear their heads and let off steam! It’s definitely a skill I’d like to cultivate πŸ˜‰

I am a Paper Diary. Seems pretty true. My mom’s always amazed at what I remember cause I wrote it in my LJ haha

I love looking back at journals from when I was younger, but sometimes it makes me cringe too haha

7. glittershan

What do you get on Are You a Diary or a Journal Quiz? Is it true for you?
    i. Photo journal as well~ Actually I like to write a lot though in fragments and when a flow of inspiration comes forth, but it’s true with the ‘a visual / tactile / auditory person’.
    Do you keep a diary or journal currently? Why or why not?
    ii. Sometimes in blog form with real events, though usually with poems to express the type of feeling. I admire people who can keep a real diary, especially with photos.. I observed only people who have an organised personality can really keep it routinely updated.
    iii. Yep, just old pieces of writing, blog entries and (same with the blog author) school assignments. As they said you are never more than about two metres away from a spider (have one on my ceiling..), we are also not far away from a notebook that we’ve had for more than five years.

Hahaha, it is very true about the notebooks. Even after all the moves in my life, I still have most of mine πŸ™‚

You are very correct that only the most organized people can keep a proper diary, and I envy them for it too! I think a blog is a neat thing to be able to look back on though, even if it’s just sporadically updated.

1. You Are a Photo Journal (I’m definitely more visual/tactile/auditory than verbal)
    2. No, I just don’t see the need
    3. Nope

1) What do you get on Are You a Diary or a Journal Quiz? Is it true for you?

I got paper diary, but I actually think I’m more of a photo journal person πŸ™‚

2) Do you keep a diary or journal currently? Why or why not?

No, I do so much quiz and blog post writing that I exercise my writing juice enough!

I don’t have any diaries or journals, but I have old homework assignments and notes passed in class πŸ™‚