New Quiz: Are You a Doormat?

Smiling confident girl

Are you a doormat? Or do you tend to stick up for yourself?

Do you speak up for yourself? Or do you tend to let things lie? I don’t think I would consider myself a doormat, although like most people, I probably could have better boundaries. I tend to avoid confrontation, but if someone is really bugging me, I will let that person know… or get away from her quickly. It depends on who it is!

I have been thinking a lot lately about people who are doormats vs those who are balanced vs those who never would let anyone walk all over them. In particular, I think that striking the right balance between doormat and let’s say “justice warrior” can lead to increased happiness and reduced anxiety. I know for myself that a lot of my anxiety is rooted in being afraid of not handling situations well. If I think I’m going to get taken advantage of, I get nervous. But I also get nervous if I think I’m going to be too confrontational with someone getting under my skin.

Thinking about the balance and difficulty it takes to not be a doormat made me wrote my latest quiz: Are You a Doormat? Let me know what you get on this quiz, and what you think about standing up for yourself in general. Does dealing with difficult people or situations give you anxiety, or do you have a way of dealing with things that works well for you?

1. What do you get on Are You a Doormat? Is it true for you?
  2. When do you think it’s important to stand up for yourself? And when do you let things slide?
  3. Are you more likely to confront someone and regret it? Or regret not saying anything?
  4. Take Are You Confident? What do you think of your result?

9 thoughts on “New Quiz: Are You a Doormat?

1. Balanced. I think it’s mostly true–in person. (I’m more aggressive online!)

2. I think it’s important to stand up for myself about things that matter a lot to me. If I don’t really care, why not let other people be wrong? ;D

3. I’m more likely to have regrets for not saying anything, or for not expressing myself well enough. Because when I DO care a lot, I’m less articulate.

4. I got “You are Sometimes Confident”, and I guess that’s about right.

(And I hope everything is okay and the reason there haven’t been any blog entries lately is because you’re on a fun vacation!)

2. bree

1. Balanced
    2. I stand up for myself if I feel uncomfortable, violated or disrespected, or try at least. It can be difficult when you fear confrontation. I back off when I feel standing up for myself would cause more drama then it would resolutions.
    3. Regret not saying anything.
    4. Not confident. It’s something I’m working on.

You Have Balanced Boundaries

You are a kind hearted soul, and you never want to do anyone harm… and that includes yourself.
    For the things that don’t matter, you are very live and let live. But you do have your breaking point.

Of all the types, you struggle the most with what to do in any complicated situation. You weigh your options carefully.
    And while you may make mistakes occasionally, you do a good job sticking up for yourself without going overboard.

You are an active and engaged person who is very concerned with doing the correct thing. You try to take the high road.
    While you may be forceful when it’s time to stand up for what’s right, you always do so with respect and dignity.

I guess it’s true, but I have moments of every side. I do think you think you should stand up for yourself, but you have to think: Is it worth fighting for? I usually regret not saying the right things and saying what comes into mind without consideration.

1. You Are a Doormat. I’m definitely too caring haha
    2. When you’ve been really offended, etc. When you can just roll your eyes and think it’s not worth it
    3. It makes me really uncomfortable confronting someone..but sometimes you just have to
    4. You Are Sometimes Confident. It’s easy to doubt myself 😛

1. You Have Balanced Boundaries
    2. When someone makes accusations/assumptions and lies about me, when a child gets pissy at me
    3. Regret not saying anything even if I am withdrawn and introverted
    4. You Are Sometimes Confident

1. Balanced boundaries.
    For the things that don’t matter, you are very live and let live.
    You weigh your options carefully.
    2. When it comes to defamation of character or damage to my physical, mental or financial security those things are too important to let someone get away with screwing up.
    3. Either could happen with me.
    4. Sometimes Confident.

7. moonstep1969

1. You Have Balanced Boundaries

Comment: Sounds accuate, I mostly know where to draw the line. Am known for being forceful everywhere except for possibly on comment threads with unknown people on the Internet – some debates there are simply not worth the effort IMO.

2 It’s important to stand up for myself at work. Otherwise, it depends on the issue. Online discussion threads where unknown people are debating are sometimes a waste of time.

3. More likely to regret a confrontation.

4. You Are Completely Confident

You’re a total superstar – and you know it. You aren’t afraid to love yourself.
    You have the guts to be who you are. You believe that you are important and special.

You have plenty of reasons to be confident. And you’re always working to be a better person.
    You have many passions and talents. You truly appreciate and love your life.

Comment: True, but it have taken decades to get there.