New Quiz: Is Your English British Or American?

clock in london

Do you speak a more American or British English?

Are you fascinated by small differences in English? I am. I grew up in a very American household, but my grandma had learned a more British English in Europe when she was growing up. Needless to say, there was some disagreement on what word one should use for certain things πŸ˜‰ Even Mr. Blogthings and I have a different vocabulary from growing up in different areas of the United States – but I suppose that’s another quiz for another time.

There are so many ways to categorize the type of English any of us speak, but I thought it would be fun to look at American vs British. I’ve noticed that it’s very trendy for some Americans to adopt Britishisms… I wonder if it works the other way in Britain as well. (If it does, let me know!) Some people simply like British words, which I admit to my American ears sound pretty great. (“Loo”, for example, is a lot classier than “toilet.”) I’ve also noticed people using British spellings that are American, which I guess is okay too – but I would just get confused if I try it. We can probably blame this trend on Downton Abbey, right?

So which do you speak? American or British English? Take my latest quiz to find out:Β Is Your English British Or American?Β And as always, comment below to let me know what you got πŸ™‚

1. What do you get onΒ Is Your English British Or American?Β Is it true for you?
  2. What sort of words do you like to borrow from other English speaking countries?
  3. How has your English been influenced, if at all, by a region other than where you grew up? (I’m thinking of having relatives from different areas, liking certain films, etc as contributors.)
  4. TakeΒ What Kind of American English Do You Speak?Β What do you think of your result?

25 thoughts on “New Quiz: Is Your English British Or American?

Your English is American English
    Now don’t get your overalls in a twist, but your English is American through and through!
    From the zucchinis growing in your yard to the gasoline in your car, you use Americanisms to describe your life.

You enjoy fries just as much as the next person, even if you have to put on your sneakers the next day to atone for them.
    And like everyone else, you probably hope that your apartment is centrally located so you don’t have to spend too much time commuting by highway or subway.

Don’t believe this garbage? We’re not saying you’re American by birth.
    Maybe you’ve just been a little too influenced by American movies and tv.
    Yep! But I’m not American! Ooops! Maybe I shouldn’t take this quiz! πŸ˜›
    I like to mix different words from different languages, because if you’ve traveled around the world learning, the best you could do is learn their language, but I DO indeed speak English!

I love to learn a little of the language for whatever country I’m visiting! Mr. Blogthings and I have been learning a little Spanish down here in Texas too, which is a lot of fun πŸ™‚

I can’t remember… are you Canadian? I feel like that would explain the American result. Then again, I know a lot of younger Europeans are being raised on a more American English than their parents were, due to internet, tv, etc.

That’s right! I don’t know if I already mentioned this, but I was born on the other side of the lake in upstate NY πŸ˜‰

1. Your English is American English. Yep
    2. None that I’m aware of..
    3. I hear different words for things, but I don’t use them..
    4. You Speak General American English. Sounds right

3. maureenmojen

1. American English. I used more British English words when I was in England but it would be weird to do so here.

2. The biggest one is probably rubbish. That word is used in America of course, but not to the extent it is in England. My flatmates would say “It’s a bit rubbish” or “It’s rubbish” all the time instead of “it’s bad/shitty/crappy/etc” and I picked that up. Same with brilliant. I think I use it more than is typical in America. And of course I picked up using “bloody”.

3. I used to use “pop” exclusively but after living in other part of the country I sometimes say “diet soda” I never use just plain soda though, probably because I never asked for it. I still use pop more often though. Because I read more British literature than American literature I tend to spell words the “british way.” I get annoyed because some people say that it is pretentious to do so but I have to CONSCIOUSLY drop u’s from words like colour, honour, favourite, etc. I never made a conscious decision to spell things the british way, it just happened.

4. Mostly general American, with a fair bit of Yankee. Sounds right. This quiz was hard because I find that for some words (like route) I use both pronunciations and so I really had to think about which I use more often! πŸ™‚

I love to say “rubbish” too. It just sounds better to my ears.

And it’s definitely not pretentious to use British spellings if that’s what you’re used to πŸ™‚ I can imagine it looks weird to spell things the American way in Britain!

What do you get on Is Your English British Or American? Is it true for you?

American – not surprising!

What sort of words do you like to borrow from other English speaking countries?

It varies, but my absolute favorite is “chilly bin” from New Zealand.

I’ve been influenced a bit by reading, but if anything, it means some of the terms I use are old fashioned but still American.

Take What Kind of American English Do You Speak? What do you think of your result?

Mostly general – but a bit of Yankee since my husband is from New England.

My favorite terms are from New Zealand for sure. I love “chilly bin” (as mentioned above), and I love how everyone says “no worries”!

1. American. Coulda said that one without the quiz. Although, I know British terms and even like some (not all) better, because I didn’t grow up using them I feel it’s pretentious to change my language. I do like to use some of the spellings though. Some pronunciations get on my nerves. On both sides really.
    2. Can’t bring any to mind at the moment.
    3. I don’t call all soda Cokes like a lot of people from Texas. I say soda. But not Pop. Hmmm, I can say all of Will’s imaginary brothers names in accent. (Good Will Hunting) LOL!
    4. Dang it! You just had to use the word Cruller. Made me salivate as soon as I saw it. I’m trying to eat clean! Also, I call it TDISBHW and a sun shower.
    50% General American English, 30% Yankee,15% Dixie,0% Midwestern,0% Upper Midwestern

My best friend growing up was from DFW area, and she called every soda a “Coke.” I don’t hear that much down here, but it’s probably because there are few “real” Texans in Austin! I mostly say “pop”, as both my parents were from the northern part of the US. I was teased mercilessly for it though πŸ˜‰

1. I got American English, which, I am! (I have fairly good British comprehension, though, due mostly to the vast majority of my childhood reading matter coming from the Anglophilic New York Public Library. :))

2 & 3. I think whether I use any Britishisms or Canadian-isms or the like has to do with whatever I’ve been reading lately–I do tend to pick up literary styles and vocabulary, which is great for copyediting and somewhat disconcerting otherwise.

4. I got “You Speak General American English”, which I think is right. I have a few New York-isms–I stand on, not in, line, for example!–but otherwise not easily distinguishable (possibly refer to above). Actually, most people who don’t know where I’m from tend to say I sound vaguely European!

I think it may have something to do with the fact that, at least when I was a small child, New York City schools had lines painted on the ground which you had to stand on to line up to go into the classrooms–so you stood, literally, on the line. πŸ™‚