New Quiz: Are You a Geek or a Hipster?

hipster looking woman with tattoos and piercings

Are you more of a geek or more of a hipster? Take my latest quiz to find out.

Do you know any geeks? What about any hipsters? Do you find it hard to distinguish between the two? I am finding it hard to distinguish between hipsters and geeks, at least by appearances alone. Some cities, like Austin and San Francisco, have a lot of both – and there is starting to be a lot of overlap between the two subcultures. When I see someone in an indie coffee shop working hard on her laptop wearing a cool t-shirt… well, which is she? 😉 Hipster or geek?

Of course, people on the internet never get sick of discussing subcultural differences. And since there are plenty of both hipsters and geeks online (or people who at least accuse one another of being hipsters and geeks), I didn’t have much trouble researching this quiz. At first, I felt persuaded by the idea that hipsters and geeks have somewhat different taste, and I do think that’s true to some extent. (You will see this show up a little in my quiz.) What I totally think, though, is that geeks and hipsters have very different mindsets… and not one is better than the other.

Curious to see which mindset best fits you? Take Are You a Geek or a Hipster? to see which group you fall in with. Comment below to let me know what you think of your result – and modern subcultures in general.

1. What do you get on Are You a Geek or a Hipster? Is it true for you?
  2. In your opinion, what makes someone a geek?
  3. In your opinion, what makes someone a hipster?
  4. Have you ever identified with any subcultures? Which ones?
  5. Take How Geeky Are You? What do you think of your result?

P.S. Want the latest and coolest Blogthings first? Get new quizzes in your email every week with Blogthings Weekly

12 thoughts on “New Quiz: Are You a Geek or a Hipster?

1. Jasmine

A geek and I’m not surprised.
    2. I guess people who are in to sci-fi in a deeper way than movies.
    3. Wearing things because they are In fashion not because they always wear them.
    4. Umm idk
    Movie Geekiness: High
    Academic Geekiness: Moderate
    Fashion Geekiness: Moderate
    SciFi Geekiness: Moderate
    Geekiness in Love: Low
    Music Geekiness: Low
    Gamer Geekiness: None
    Internet Geekiness: None
    Nerdy Geekiness: None

1. A bit of both it seems
    2. Someone who dresses kinda funny and wears uncool but functional glasses, has an average or thin body, and has an obsession for any field of science.
    3. Someone who is unconventional and likes to dress and act cool but is not an attention who*e.
    4. Goth, some punk, and some hippie (didn’t always know it though)
    5. You Are a Fashion Geek

Nerdy Geekiness: None

1. You Are a Geek. Pretty true
    2. If they’re super into things like Star Trek and computers and stuff
    3. Hmm maybe liking things others don’t..or like “Indie” things
    4. The metal subculture..a lot of metalheads are really nice 🙂
    5. You Are a SciFi Geek. lol cool

I agree! Metalheads are really nice. I recently went to a metal concert at a club, and everyone was very courteous 🙂

1. I got “You are a Geek”, and I think that is right. I’m interested in some very hipster-ish things–art, design, even indie music!–but in a geeky kind of way. 🙂

2. I think geeks are the sort of people who know way too much about whatever it is they’re into–mildly obsessive, but out of deep interest.

3. I think hipsters cultivate an ironic, outsider viewpoint about whatever they are interested in–so to me the difference between geek and hipster is the difference between being immersed in something and being reflective about something, maybe?

4. Not really

5. I got I am an Academic Geek, and I am, ’tis true! (Doesn’t everyone find going to lectures a great way to spend an afternoon? Learning is FUN!)

I definitely agree that being a geek is more about a deep, genuine interest (immersive – yes) vs reflecting on something more. I like the idea of being interested in hipster things but more of in a geeky way. I think that sums me up well too! 🙂

1. Geek. It’s likely you’ve been developing certain obsessions since childhood. And they haven’t quelled now that you’re an adult.
    You can be a geek about anything, but it’s likely that you’re at least a little into science fiction, technology, or gadgets.
    You know what you know and like, and you don’t try to fake what you don’t. If someone asks you a question about something you’re interested in, you have a detailed response ready.
    2. I’m not sure, but for me it probably means a lot of enthusiasm over more cerebral interests and quirky entertainments.
    3. Hipsters seem to be all about obscurities, ironies and activism.
    4. I’ve never embraced any subculture as a whole but I’ve cherry picked elements of several that appealed to me.
    5. I didn’t feel this quiz represented me accurately. The questions were very specific and didnt necessarily fit me so I’m skipping the answer. I’m pretty mainstream and average by today’s standards anyway.

I think that’s a good point that there is an activist component that hipsters have that geeks lack (generally speaking, of course!)

You Are a Geek

You are a geek, but that doesn’t mean anyone should stereotype you. All geeks are different.
    You have your own specific interests, lifestyle, and area of expertise. Other geeks may or may not share them.

What makes you a geek is not what you’re interested in, but that you have a genuine interest in it.

I have been friends with many different kinds of people, yet I wouldn’t consider them geeks OR hipsters, but I find hipsters to be on the vintage, kind of “non-mainstream” feel to them. Geeks are more modern, and you normally don’t know if they are geeks, on their personality, whereas hipsters you can just tell by appearance, along with personality as well.

I think that sums up the difference perfectly. You definitely never know a geek right away, but you can spot a hipster just walking by one =)

What do you get on Are You a Geek or a Hipster? Is it true for you?

I got geek, but since I wrote the quiz, I know that I got right down the middle. I’m definitely more of a geek – but I’m an arty geek.

In your opinion, what makes someone a geek?

Having well developed deep interests.

In your opinion, what makes someone a hipster?

Living in a cool neighborhood, being arty, wearing certain clothes, liking indie music / movies

Have you ever identified with any subcultures? Which ones?

Not really. I was a little bit punk as a teenager, but only just a little!

Take How Geeky Are You? What do you think of your result?

My highest were music and fashion – which is kind of hipster 😉