New Quiz: What’s Your 90s High School Stereotype?

cast of clueless

If you were a high schooler in the 90s, what clique would you belong to?

Did your high school have cliques? Mine definitely did. There were preppy kids, jocks, arty kids, punks, goths, hippies, skaters… well, you get the picture. I’m not sure what it is about high school that makes people all divide up into subcultures, but it seems to be one of the first times that self-identification is important. And I know for me, years later, I still have tons in common with the people who traveled in the same (alternative / geeky) circles that I traveled in.

I sort of feel like high school cliques are a universal thing, at least for public high schools in the US. (If you went to school outside of the US or private / parochial school, let me know if your experience was the same or different.) I’m not basing this on any sort of study I’ve read but just on movies and TV in a high school setting. From Grease to My So-Called Life to Buffy the Vampire Slayer to Pretty Little Liars, every school has its subcultures.

Of course, Blogthings has done the high school clique quiz before (Who Were You In High School?), but rewatching one of my favorite movies, Clueless, made me want to do a spin on it… 90s style! Even if you didn’t go to high school in the 90s, you probably remember the 90s quite well. I thought it would be fun to see who we all would have been back then:Β What’s Your 90s High School Stereotype?

1. What do you get onΒ  What’s Your 90s High School Stereotype?
  2. What decade did you go to high school in? What were some of the cliques at your school?
  3. If you could have gone to high school during any other decade, which one would you have chosen?
  4. What do you miss the most about high school? The least?
  5. Are there any tv shows or movies set at high school that you love? Which ones?

P.S. Want to get new Blogthings quizzes every week? Sign up for my weekly email list:Β Blogthings Weekly!

25 thoughts on “New Quiz: What’s Your 90s High School Stereotype?

You Are a Popular Kid

You may or may not have been popular in high school, but you would be popular if you went back now.
    You have a lot of social savvy and grace. You deal with people well, and you are well liked.

You like to be the center of attention and are definitely a leader among your group.
    However, you don’t use your powers of manipulation for evil – you use them for good. You are compassionate and friendly to everyone.

You’re the type of person who gives 100% – whether it’s taking care of yourself, studying, or being there for friends.
    You don’t get a lot of downtime, but that’s okay. You’re happy to have a busy, crazy life that you love.

My school was pretty different, standards and popularity were basically nonexistent. (okay maybe a little drama)

2. moonstep1969

Obviously I’m too old to take this quiz, as I was in high school in the mid-80s, but took it anyway. Got Alternative Kid as well. I believe it’s significant for Blogthings quiz takers to be alternative. Am more conventional today than back in my teens, but not as conventional as most people think I am. My close friends know me better… πŸ™‚

Oh, you definitely aren’t “too old” for this quiz – it’s more about who you would be now versus who you were πŸ™‚ That being said, I am planning on writing an 80s one. And I agree, Blogthings people (myself included) are a bit more “alternative”

3. Cait

1. I got Alternative Kid
    2. I went to High School in whatever the first decade of the 2000’s is called. Some of the biggest clicks at my school were the Skids (which was made up of freaks, geeks, and tweaks – their words not mine), and the Jock/Prep conglomerate (they were all stuck up assholes)…and then there was everyone else.
    3. Hmm…I honestly don’t know…maybe late 90s or the early 80s – but if I can choose any decade – in the year 3000. XD
    4. I miss the freedom and the lack of responsibility, oh and I miss these huge doughy pretzels they sold in the cafeteria, I would say I miss the other students the least.
    5. TV Shows…Buffy for sure, uhm…Todd and the Book of Pure Evil, OtH

If my school had big doughy pretzels, I would definitely miss those the most =) Hahaha, that term Skids is quite amusing – I’ve never heard it before. Buffy is a great HS school. Todd and the Book of Pure Evil looks really great!

4. Aisha Milburn

1. Alternative Kid — You’ve never quite fit in with mainstream culture. You feel like there is more to life than what’s popular. You aren’t the type to do something just because everyone else is doing it, and you may even seek out the more obscure things in life.

You may or may not have been successful in school, but no matte what, you have your own intellectual interests. You are quit well learned and fond of learning, as long as you get to choose the subject you’re delving into.

Of all the types, you have the most unique taste in music, art, film, and literature. You aren’t trying to be cool or hipster, you just have a different way of looking at the world.

2. I went to high school in the 90’s. Our cliques were the goth, preps, jocks, nerds, grunge and hip-hop influenced.

3. I’d stick with the 90’s.

4. I miss most the ease of life. My biggest worry was homework and decent grades. I miss least… The food.

5. Clueless of course!

Glad that you’re a Clueless fan too! It is amazing to look back on those high school worries. They were so big at the time, but what I would give to have them be my only worries again πŸ˜‰

1. You Are an Alternative Kid. Yep, sounds like me πŸ˜›
    2. In the 2000s. Preppy, punk, etc
    3. *shrugs* The one I was in was fine..
    4. My Latin class, friends, the food (yes, I am weird haha), etc. Annoying immature idiots, projects, etc
    5. Daria is pretty amusing haha

I miss high school food too! We actually had pretty good pizza.

I loved Daria – such a great show and so representative of me as a teen πŸ™‚

6. Vani B.

1. You Are a Princess (or Prince)

You’ve lived a pretty great life so far, and there’s no reason for you to think it won’t continue.
    You may be a bit spoiled, but you’d like to think you’re not spoiled rotten. You just like to get your way.

You’re the type of person who seems to have it all. And people are drawn toward your wealth, success, and appearance.
    However, you may often find that your friends are not really true friends. It’s hard for you to find genuine relationships.

You are up on the latest trends and often the best looking person in the room. Image matters to you.
    Of all the types, you know best where you stand status wise. You know who is more popular than you and who is coming up on your heels.

This is as far from who I was in high school as you could get, although like Tai and Amber, I did make a big effort to fit in… I definitely tried too hard at times, especially during the last two years of high school. There’s nothing worse than pretending to be something you’re not, but unfortunately, being myself didn’t serve me well when I moved to this new town when I was eleven (EVERYTHING about me was cause for ridicule), and trying to fit in as I got older made me lose touch with myself, and in a twist of irony, made me even LESS of an outsider. So I left my home state at twenty-one and just focused on getting my life back and finding myself again. It took a while, but the change of scenery was what made all the difference. I’ve always been more of a cross between an art kid and an alternative kid; both results fit me well… and I’m okay with that, now. I’ve absolutely got to be myself.
    2. I started high school in 1999 and graduated in 2003. We had the girls from Latin America who spoke Spanish and greeted each other with air kisses when they saw each other in the hallway, the goths, the rodeo princesses and good ol’ boys, the preps and the hip-hop lovers.
    3. I don’t know… I think high school sucks no matter what decade you’re in! But I’d probably choose to go back to the Forties and Fifties… I’m a bit of an old soul, and love the fashions and pop culture from both eras. Plus, youth culture came about in the Fifties and it would’ve been cool to watch kids start to partake in more fun, comfortable fashions and discover guitar music.
    4. Again, I don’t miss much about high school (except for the pizza in the lunchroom!), because overall it was just a crappy experience. Even my bigger moments, like singing in the variety show and getting a part in the school musical, were plagued by receiving a lot of animosity from my classmates, including my friends or people who had at one point been my friends. The only good thing about my high school experience was graduating, because that meant I didn’t have to return. And thank God, because emotionally and mentally I was DONE with it… I even decided not to attend my high school reunion. It was a decision I made ten years ago (well, in four days it will have been ten years… that was my graduation day). But hey, I’ll still celebrate ten years out of hell on my own… I’ll just go out for drinks with the hubs and my bandmates, and maybe down a fireball or two! πŸ˜‰
    5. I love Never Been Kissed, Mean Girls, Rebel Without a Cause (Jimmy Dean – rowrr!) and The Breakfast Club, I must say. Never Been Kissed was closer to my high school experience than any other high school movie, which is probably why I like it so much… I identify with Josie’s story and what she had to deal with as a teenager, and still having those moments as an adult where she felt uncool, but ultimately came to terms with who she really was and accepting herself… which led to finding true love with a man who fell in love with and could see her outer beauty as well as her inner beauty. Plus, Drew Barrymore’s one of my favorite actresses of all time.

I think moving at 11 can be one of the most difficult ages! People are just trying out cliques and being snotty, and the new person is often the perfect target for that :-/

Hahaha! I love that you said “rodeo princesses” – because we definitely had them at my school as well. It was completely unexpected for me, and it was even cool in junior high to wear Wranglers with glam type cowgirl clothes. Needless to say, I didn’t fit in with that crowd.

I agree that it feels great to move on from the high school experience and find “your people.” Aside from a few other “weird girls” I knew in high school, I have lost touch with everyone else.

Oh and I LOVE Never Been Kissed πŸ™‚

7. maureenmojen

1. Alternative Kid. Accurate, but I probably wouldn’t have LOOKED like one. Cher from Clueless was my first style icon and I would still wear anything from her closet in a heartbeat.
    2. early 00s. I went to an all girls catholic school so it was a bit different. There were the art kids (art was actually a major at my school. People went there specifically for art and several kids went to good art schools afterwards), but a lot of the art kids were a part of other cliques. the drama kids. the “nerdy” kids (these groups tended to hang out together). Overall though the cliques were more determined by what gradeschool you went to. There were two main “popular” groups – one was more grounded, in to music like DMB and John Mayer. The other was trendy and loud.
    3. I don’t know. The 90s I guess.
    4. My french teacher was amazing. Other than him and some of my other teachers I pretty much hated highschool. It was a very bad time for me.
    5. CLUELESS. 10 things I hate about you. Mean Girls was pretty good. Does Gilmore Girls count as set in highschool? Does the Vampire Diaries? I love Skins (UK) which features characters that age but their school environment is a bit different. I think I love that show more because they actually cast actors and actresses who are the same age as the characters (or around the same) and the characters aren’t all unrealistically attractive. They look like people you’d actually know.

I love that Cher was your first style icon. I still think the styles from Clueless are great. I miss them!

You are very right that what school kids went to together tend to impact cliques.

And yes, Gilmore Girls totally counts. It’s possibly my very favorite show ever. Have you seen Bunheads? It’s another high school show by the same writer (Amy Sherman-Palladino).

I got Alternative Kid. I was in high school ’84-’89. We had the usual Geeks, Jocks, Stoners, etc. back then I would have chosen the 60’s or 70’s maybe but I don’t think I would change my decade now. The 80’s were great! πŸ™‚ I don’t really miss high school. Just wish I could have squeezed more out of it. More friends, more boyfriends, more learning. There is a tv show that I didn’t catch the first time around when it aired but I really enjoyed it after I found it. Freaks and Geeks.

I’m noticing that almost everyone dreamed of being in high school just a little earlier. I also wish I had tried harder to make more friends – a few friends from high school are still dear to me!

OMG, I looooove Freaks and Geeks. I found it recently and am going to rewatch it again soon πŸ™‚

What do you get on What’s Your 90s High School Stereotype?

Slacker fits me well these days. I would slack so much more now πŸ™‚

Early 90s. We had goths / punks, gang wannabes, preps / jocks, nerds, rednecks…

80s seem fun – I like the big fashions.

What do you miss the most about high school? The least?

I miss the build in social aspect, as painful as it was at times. I miss the stress the least.

Are there any tv shows or movies set at high school that you love? Which ones?

Freaks and Geeks, My So-Called Life, Switched at Birth

1. Alternative/slacker (and some art)
    2. Early 00’s, can’t think of any