New Quiz: What Type of Video Game Are You?

girl meditating while playing video games

What kind of video game experience is best for you?

Do you like video games? I loved video games when I was a kid. It was the golden age of arcade games, and I played as often as I could. Luckily, I could find machines everywhere, and it was very easy to sneak a game in before a movie or while I was waiting for pizza. Back then video games felt very democratic. Anyone with a quarter could play, and it wasn’t that difficult to learn them.

As video games got more complex, I wasn’t so sure that I liked them any longer. When fancy console and PC games became the standard, I actually kind of forgot that I used to like video games so much. With a few exceptions (like Katamari Damacy and a few sports games), I just didn’t have the time to devote to learning each new game. If you had asked me a few years ago, I would probably have told you that I wasn’t a big video game fan at all.

Lately, I rediscovered video games that were easier to pick up and play. Between flash games, smart phone games, and (yes!) a local video game arcade, I have remembered what I love about playing video games… the more casual and fun aspects! I’m starting to believe that almost anyone can like video games – you just have to find the right type of game. That’s what has inspired my latest quiz: What Type of Video Game Are You? Comment below to let me know what you got, and what you think of video games in general.

1. What do you get on What Type of Video Game Are You? Is it true for you?
  2. Do you currently play video games? If so, which ones?
  3. What was your favorite video game as a kid?
  4. What’s your favorite way to play video games? On a console? Computer? Smart phone? Arcade?
  5. If you instantly had all the skills and time to create a video game, what kind of game would you make?

P.S. Want the newest and best Blogthings quizzes? Get notified of each week’s new quizzes by signing up for Blogthings Weekly!

20 thoughts on “New Quiz: What Type of Video Game Are You?

You Are a Strategy Video Game

Actually I play all kinds of game, RTS, Arcade, FPS, Racing.

Well, the Plot and storyline is what most games today’s missing. Graphics is okay, but good, deep and well-thought storyline ought to overcome it.

I agree that plot and storyline are key. I’d like to see more work in these areas for video games and a lot more breadth 🙂

1. You Are an Arcade Video Game. Sure, they’re fun but I’m not a fanatic haha
    2. Nope..unless Angry Birds counts 😛
    3. Mario ones..like Mario Party 3, Mario Kart, etc. I also LOVED Super Smash Bros (Link ftw! Haha) and Jak and Daxter was pretty cool too
    4. On a console..or a computer if it’s Angry Birds
    5. Maybe a virtual pet one hehe

Angry Birds totally counts! And you are all convincing me that I need a Mario / Nintendo themed quiz for sure 🙂 I was afraid that not enough people were fans.

Super Smash Bros was one of the video games that got me through college 🙂

3. Sarah B.

1. I’m a fighter game. Yes it is true for me.

2. Yes I currently play video game. I play time management games like Diner Dash and Delicious Emily.

3. My favorite game as a kid was Super Mario Brothers.

4. My favorite way to play video games is on a console, on a computer, on a smartphone, and on a Kindle Fire.

5. If I instantly had the skills and the time to create a video game, I would create a simulation game like Guitar Hero and Rockband.

I have never played Guitar Hero, but I saw someone playing it yesterday, and it inspired to finally give it a go. Oh, and Delicious Emily looks fun!

I’m an Adventure game. I don’t really play video games much right now. The games I have been into were computer games, Myst (the series) and The Sims ( all versions). I’m not playing Sims right now and not for awhile because I haven’t had an adequate platform. I don’t know that I had a favorite game as a kid. Frogger maybe. I like playing games on my conputer. I guess if I created a game myself it would just be a combination of my favorite types, Sims with more fantastic worlds and puzzle adventures like Myst.

I don’t have a great gaming platform either (my computer is not very fast), so I totally hear you on that one! I loved the bit of The Sims that I played early on. Fun game for sure!

1. Puzzle/adventure
    2. It’s been a while (last one was Bioshock 2)
    3. Sonic 3 and Knuckles and Super Mario Bros 3
    4. TV, arcade, or computer
    5. Historical storyteller (choices can be made to affect how things go in the game like in walking dead), I got this kind of game on a HelloQuizzy test called video game designer style

Something old/ancient (decades centuries or a millennium or 2) that is able to affect the modern world (in a negative way), and searching/examining areas and talking to people to know more about them, and some mini games and missions.

I love this idea, especially the part about the ancient world affecting the modern world! I’d play that game for sure 🙂

Super Mario Bros 3 is one of my all time favorite games. Glad to see that there is another arcade fan on here 🙂

6. moonstep1969

You Are a Fighter Video Game

You’re the type who likes to get really immersed in a video game. You like to block out everything else around you.
    You are very focused and determined. You do well with goalposts that you can measure your progress against.

You are moderately competitive. It’s likely that you enjoy competing against your friends and the computer.
    You don’t take a loss too personally, but you do take it as an opportunity to further hone your skills.

You aren’t a violent person. You just like the precision and concentration that fighting games require.
    You are a patient person as long as you feel like you are getting somewhere. Because they’re fast paced, you could play fighting games for hours!

Comment: At first, I was taken by surprise – the only games I play (and very seldom) is Cityville and Farmeville on Facebook, which hardly count. But the analysis mostly rings quite true for me as a person anyway.

I played fighter games in college to relieve stress and loved them (especially the less violent ones). Maybe you would too 😉

What do you get on What Type of Video Game Are You? Is it true for you?

Arcade! Yes 🙂 Although I like many types of video games, especially puzzle and race games.

Do you currently play video games? If so, which ones?

All sorts. I do some casual / puzzle games on my phone, and Mr. Blogthings and I go the the arcade fair amount.

What was your favorite video game as a kid?

When I was super young, anything from the Pac-Man series, Donkey Kong Jr., and Centipede. When I was older, the original Super Mario Bros.

I like the variety / vibe of an arcade!

Something artsy that was sort of social commentary as well.