Quiz: What Language Should You Learn?

uno y uno spanish sign

What language should you learn next?

Do you speak any languages other than English? I know at least a few of you do. Growing up, I was always fascinated by foreign languages. I speak a little of some languages – French and Spanish primarily. I understand a bit of a few like Norwegian and German as well ๐Ÿ™‚ If I was independently wealthy, I could imagine devoting a life to learning so many languages. I find them to be so interesting!

Even though I’m not technically fluent in any of the languages I know, I’m always on the lookout for a new language to learn. I’m addicted to learning bit and pieces of languages, especially those similar to the ones I know already. I get a big kick out of seeing how Italian relates to French or how Portuguese relates to Spanish. I admit that I’m such a geek about this. Languages are a great way to travel without leaving your house, and it’s easier than ever to pick up a few words of something now that the internet is around.

Are you like me and eager to learn new languages? You might appreciate my quiz:ย What Language Should You Learn?ย Let me know below what you get on this one and what you think about learning languages.

1. What do you get onย What Language Should You Learn?ย Is it true for you?
  2. What languages (if any) do you speak other than English? How well?
  3. If you could learn any language instantly, which would you choose?
  4. Did you grow up with an language other than English being spoke at home?
  5. Do you have a great way or resource for learning a language that you’d like to share?

P.S. Want more quizzes like this every week?ย Sign up here for Blogthings weekly

35 thoughts on “Quiz: What Language Should You Learn?

1. Amรฉlie

French ;
    I am already French !!!! LOL
    Happy to learn that I am the most fortunate person in the world, dropped in the precise country she would have craved !

2. Safira

I got Japanese, and it is so true because I started learning Japanese as my 2nd language a few months ago and it is PERFECT. It can be confusing at times, but hey aren’t all languages like that at one time or another?

Really I don’t “speak” any other languages than english….yet.. I mean my Japanese is still in beginner stage, I know how to introduce myself, I got a vocabulary of 480 words, know some useful grammar, but I have trouble forming sentences and have to take a bit to think about it before speaking.

The internet is a vast collection of sources that can, help or harm you. For language learning I’d choose, memrise.com, fluentin3months.com, and if you prefer to learn through video there’s this youtube channel called JapansocietyNYC, it hosts many Japanese language lessons that have been very helpful to me, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4071737C12790477…. These are the lessons I’ve been using.

These are great resources! Thanks so much for including them. Learning some Japanese has been on my wishlist for a long time ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m very impressed with your 480 words!

I got French. How come you don’t have engineering or mathematics in the school subjects?

No reason ๐Ÿ™‚ I tend to mix up answers for common questions on quizzes to add some variety. I’m sure math is an answer to a school subject question on many other quizzes ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. Boo

I got French yay. I’m about to go vacation in France next month. I’m a thai boy and English is my second language. I don’t think my head can handle another language. If I can learn language in one day it would be Japanese. Cause I want to charm cute Japanese boy to my hotel room. I learn English by watching Friend follow by Sex and the city. After that it come natural. I told my sister about this technic but she did not try it. Someone doesn’t know how to have fun while learning.

I know many people who learned languages by watching TV ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s definitely a lot more fun, especially with an entertaining show like SATC!

5. pancaker's cottage (@sneakypancake)

* What do you get on What Language Should You Learn? Is it true for you?

got French on the first try, then read through the questions a bit more carefully and got Japanese… Japanese sounds kind of interesting. ๐Ÿ˜€

* What languages (if any) do you speak other than English? How well?

Estonian’s my first language actually ~ and I can also understand Russian quite a bit, although I don’t know how well I would do in a Russian environment hahah

* If you could learn any language instantly, which would you choose?

hmmmmmm…… can’t really choose between Icelandic and German right now

* Did you grow up with an language other than English being spoke at home?

* Do you have a great way or resource for learning a language that youโ€™d like to share?

not really, although listening to music in the language might help it a bit, I think. ๐Ÿ˜€

Music is a great way to learn! I learned both Spanish and French partially through music because it makes phrases and words more memorable ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. Totally another Icelandic fan here too!

That makes sense to me. In Europe, English always felt sort of “in the air” to me the same way that Spanish is in my part of the United States =)

6. Charlotte

I should learn French… which I already speak! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thinking about learning Russian next year, give myself an extra challenge. Greek, Latin and French were way too easy, haha!

I should learn Swedish. If it doesn’t need to be perfect its probably right that its the one I should learn. I don’t speak another language bits of Spanish because, hello, I live in Texas. And bits of French because because I took it in school. I want to learn Italian because I think it sounds beautiful. My step mom and step sisters spoke a little Spanish. And I’d like to own all the Rosetta Stone courses. Maybe if I win the lottery.

Haha, I tell my husband that I speak “billboard Spanish” down here in Texas ๐Ÿ˜‰

No kidding about Rosetta Stone. Super expensive! I keep looking for cheaper alternatives.

You Should Learn Swedish. Cool..probably challenging though

I speak a little Spanish, and words of various other languages. For 3, Icelandic, Latin or Russian! Icelandic is challenging..it took me long enough to learn “Eyjafjallajokull” haha

9. Vani B.

I posted without finishing my comment (oops!), so #3 should read, “Iโ€™ve always wanted to learn French, ever since I was younger and before I knew I was of French lineage.” I also wanted to add that I’d love to learn Japanese. It’s actually a really pretty language and I love the culture and would love to visit Tokyo someday.

10. Vani B.

1. You Should Learn French

C’est super! You appreciate the finer things in life… wine, art, cheese, love affairs.
    You are definitely a Parisian at heart. You just need your tongue to catch up…

I am learning French at the moment. I’ve always felt like “a Parisian at heart,” even though my ancestors evidently are from the region of Languedoc (this is going off of the research I’ve done on my maiden name, which is French). I have Catalan, French and Italian ancestry on my father’s side. His grandparents actually immigrated to Puerto Rico from Spain, where my father and his parents were born and raised, and he’s very into researching family history, and Catalan is a fine blend of Spanish and French (they speak Catalan in Barcelona, which is the capital of the Spanish province of Catalonia). In fact, there’s a tiny country straddling the border called Andorra, and over there they speak Spanish, French and Catalan. My mom is Cuban with Asturian lineage, and she has cousins in Asturias, where the residents speak Castilian Spanish. She lived in Madrid for a couple of years as a kid, after her family fled Communism in the Sixties.

2. I already speak Spanish fluently and a little Italian. I can read and sing in Italian, however. Speaking it is somewhat of an issue that I hope to correct at some point.

3. I’ve always wanted to learn French, ever since I was younger and before I knew.

4. Yes. I spoke Spanish. My maternal grandparents did not speak English and they practically raised me, so I never really lost the language. I don’t intend to, either, as I am taking a class in the language next semester to keep my skills fresh.

5. Take it from me: interactive computer programs are you best friend! I like the EuroTalk/Instant Immersion programs, which have games and interactive picture dictionaries. With it, I was able to learn A LOT of Italian and French. Also, listening to and learning songs in different languages help to improve language skills as well. I adore French music, and one of my favorite movies, Les Choristes, has a beautiful soundtrack by the French composer, Bruno Coulais. I think listening to Latin music also lent a hand in helping me stay fluent in Spanish all these years since I listened to Selena’s music a lot as a teenager. I also really like Christina Aguilera’s Spanish-language album, in which she does a beautiful cover of “Contigo en la Distancia,” which is an old song from the Fifties that my grandparents used to dance to (they were sweethearts as teenagers in Cuba and were married for over sixty years, until my grandfather’s death. Their love story is the stuff of legend!). It was also covered by Luis Miguel, but Christina’s is my favorite.

I’m so glad that there is another French fan in the house! I can imagine French is easy to learn with your Spanish / Italian language background ๐Ÿ™‚ And I am sort of obsessed with Andorra! I learned about it when I was young, and I loved how it was in the mountains and small. I totally want to go there one day.

I love the story about your Cuban grandparents. How sweet ๐Ÿ™‚ I will definitely check out your music suggestions!

What do you get on What Language Should You Learn? Is it true for you?

French! Yes. It’s my favorite language so far.

What languages (if any) do you speak other than English? How well?

Some French and Spanish. Enough to hold a conversation for a couple hours with someone, if he or she is really helping me along. I understand some Italian because of knowing French and Spanish, as well as some German / Norwegian / Swedish from my family.

If you could learn any language instantly, which would you choose?

Instantly? Probably Russian. I’m obsessed with Russian literature, but I only read translations.

Did you grow up with an language other than English being spoke at home?

Yes, a little Norwegian.

Watching films is a GREAT way to learn if you already have some skills. I also am a big fan of Duolingo – a free learning site.

I got “you should learn French”–and I suppose I should, as I studied it in high school and college but never actually LEARNED it! ๐Ÿ˜€ (I have no gift for languages, alas.)

I do speak a bit of Hebrew, but not as much as I’d like to or ought to. And I understand some Yiddish!

Haha, I’ve had the same experience with some languages. I did terribly with French in younger years, but it clicked for me later on when I developed a French film habit in college.

Hebrew would be an interesting language to learn, I think. I have a book on Yiddish, which I think is fascinating historically, but I haven’t gotten around to reading it yet.

I’d call Yiddish a creole, linguistically speaking–it’s a smashup of German and Hebrew, really, heavy on the German, but with its own grammar and writing conventions (Hebrew alphabet, but voweled differently). It’s also a bit different depending on which country speakers came from–Polish Yiddish isn’t exactly the same as German Yiddish!

I know more Biblical Hebrew than modern Hebrew, which is fine for Torah study but not very useful when you want to find your hotel! (Fortunately most Israelis speak quite a bit of English. :D)

That makes sense about Hebrew… I think it’s similar to Greek in that way, if I’m not mistaken. (Like knowing ancient Greek won’t help you order your meal at a Greek restaurant!)

I find the large geographical span of Yiddish to be fascinating. I don’t think most English speakers realize how much of an influence it has had. We use a lot of Yiddish words in everyday life!

13. moonstep1969

You Should Learn French (already have!!)

You are definitely a Parisian at heart. You just need your tongue to catch up…

Comment: I extremly seldom drink and am more interested in global affairs than love. The most accurate result is probably Chinese. Glad I didn’t get Swedish as it’s my mother tongue. Apart from Swedish and English, I can speak French and a little German. Would love to learn Swahili or some other African language and Malay as well.

Japanese would be a fun one to learn for sure! I only know a few Japanese words, but I love everything about the language.