New Quiz: What Martial Art Are You?

two people doing tai chi on the beach

What marital art should you practice?

Do you practice a martial art? I know at least one of our readers does. I have never practiced a martial art before, but I’m curious about them. At this point in my life, I’m not so concerned with self defense, but I think it could be fun to practice a martial art. I like the idea of the mental aspect, and I could probably use some discipline.

One of the things that kept me from practicing a martial art when I was younger is that I didn’t know where to begin. All martial arts seemed the same to me. Of course, now I know that they are very different, and I find so many of them fascinating. I can see how people can get immersed in a particular martial art. Their depth is amazing – you could really study forever.

When I think about studying a martial art, I am drawn towards those that are a little more fun or spiritually oriented. I don’t think I would have the chops for hardcore fighting, but I wouldn’t mind picking up a few defensive moves. I would have to be having fun to keep myself motivated, so T’ai Chi orΒ Capoeira would be ideal. (And yes, I realize they are sort of on opposite ends of the spectrum! πŸ™‚ )

What about you? Do you know what martial art would best fit your personality? Take my latest quiz to find out:Β What Martial Art Are You?

1. What do you get onΒ What Martial Art Are You?Β Is it true for you?
  2. Have you ever practiced a martial art? Or maybe even still do? Which one?
  3. What is the most important thing to think about in regard to self defense?

P.S. Thanks to “Tai” for suggesting this one!

15 thoughts on “New Quiz: What Martial Art Are You?

You Are T’ai Chi

You are the type of person who is always in movement, both physically and mentally. You can’t sit still.
    Your life is constantly changing and evolving. And you are growing along with these changes. Every day you’re a bit different.

In life, you are flexible and open. You believe stubbornness leads to stagnation, and you do your best to avoid both.
    You approach everyone and everything with softness. You don’t want to have a hard heart.

In a battle, you have mercy for your enemy. You have no desire to hurt or harm anyone if you can help it.
    You think that discord or disagreement can be beautiful if handled properly. Not all arguments have to be a bad thing.

I don’t like martial arts, but tai chi is a little more relaxing. An important thing is to be mysterious and make them a friend, before you turn. Be cunning and strategic.

Awesome, it sounds like this was the right result for you then πŸ˜‰

I love the idea of making a friend out of your enemy first. It’s like that old adage “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.”

2. Tai

Yay! Ah, it brightened my day to see this quiz up! Thank you, Kari!

1. I got judo on my first try, then capoeira when I tried again. For the quiz, I am more likely a mix of judo and aikido.

2. I practised taekwondo for about 8-9 years and have taken part in a few championships. I really, really enjoyed sparring (and still do) but also wanted to try other martial arts which weren’t as violent and did not need a partner to practise with. After some research, I stumbled upon capoeira a few months ago and have been going for classes ever since.

3. Watch your surroundings; not just the other people but also any entrances, what other people may be holding, how are people generally clustered, etc. Yes, I live in a somewhat notorious neighbourhood.

Capoeira is a fantastic choice, Kari. It is low impact, medium to high intensity and very high fun!

I’m so glad you liked it! πŸ™‚ I think watching how people are clustered is a good idea. I never really thought of that.

I’m really happy to meet someone who practices Capoeira – you are making me excited to try it πŸ˜‰

I am Capoeira. Did you know your Facebook page is updating these a day late? I also can’t comment there anymore..apparently someone reported me for spam :/

We’ve had some technical difficulties with Facebook, so I am now using this blog as the main forum to discuss quizzes. So things may be posted a bit late on Facebook as I check it less often πŸ™‚

As far as you not being able to comment there, I have no idea what happened. I checked, and you definitely didn’t get accidentally banned by me – and I’m the only one who can ban people. Ugh, sorry that happened to you. Yeah, that’s one of the reasons I am over here these days. I have more control and ability fix anything that goes wrong. With Facebook, it’s basically out of my hands :-/

P.S. I want to try Capoeira!

I got “You are Judo” (!) and the description isn’t too far off–but I DO t’ai chi (almost 16 years now)! Not sure what to make of that…especially as the description for t’ai chi doesn’t fit me nearly as well. O_O πŸ˜€

For physical self-defense, I think the most important thing to keep in mind is to stay alert and aware of your surroundings. That should keep you from needing to defend yourself most (although not all) of the time.

Interesting! I may not have as good of a handle on martial arts as I thought, because I’d expect you to get the one you actually practice πŸ™‚

I’m sort of a bore, so I’m usually home pretty early in the night. That really cuts down on the need for self defense!

1. You Are Judo (the 1st paragraph and first sentence in the 2nd part of Ta’i Chi describes me too)
    2. Nope
    3. Don’t be rash or reckless

That is good advice. I think people would be safer if they thought through their decisions just a bit more πŸ˜‰

1) I am T’ai Chi, but Aikido also fits me well.

2) I have never practiced a martial art, but I’m very open to it – as long as it was low impact.

3) Being aware of your surroundings and avoiding dangerous situations. Also, I try to trust my intuition – if something seems off, I get away quickly.

Ha! I wrote my #3 before reading yours, and I think it’s very true. The first rule of properly taught martial arts is that if there is trouble over there, go somewhere else. πŸ™‚

I heartily recommend t’ai chi as not only low impact but NO impact, at least in the Yang and Wu styles.

I think it could definitely be for me. I enjoy yoga a lot, but I’m looking to mix it up a bit πŸ™‚