Quiz: How Big Is Your Ego?

pretty brunette woman with hoop earrings in a cowboy hat

Do you have a big ego?

Have you ever known anyone with a larger than life ego? I would bet almost anything that you have. We’ve all run into big ego types in our lives – some of us have been unlucky enough to live with, date, or even work for these big ego folks. It’s hard to be around them for sure. People with big egos tend to make the rest of us feel invisible, as everything is all about them. I tend to think that this is just another term for textbook narcissism, and I think we’re all getting more prone to it in modern culture.

According to psychologists, there is a narcissism (or big ego) epidemic in the United States, and it’s only getting larger. Over time, people are being shown to have less and less empathy, which is thought to be inversely related to ego size. Meaning, the less compassion you have for people, the bigger your ego is. Makes sense to me! And I’m pretty sure that everyone reading this blog will agree that this trend is happening. Luckily, I think you’re all part of the solution, not part of the problem, since you engage in honest self-reflection.

Do you agree that egos are out of control? It’s hard not to notice it these days with social media. While having a Facebook or Twitter account certainly doesn’t mean you have an ego issue (I love using these services to connect with others), we all know people who see the internet as their chance to be a “mini-celebrity.”

Interesting food for though, I think! I wrote How Big Is Your Ego? with just these topics in mind, and I think it’s more relevant than ever. Take it for yourself, and even consider taking it for someone in your life whose ego you think might be out of control. I think it’s easy to get a bit navel-gazing in this culture, so don’t be alarmed if your score seems a little high 😉

What did you get on How Big Is Your Ego? Comment and let me know. Do you think that people are more ego driven than ever? Or do you think that this is just a part of the human condition?

P.S. Need more quizzes to feed your ego? 😉 Learn about each week’s new quizzes by signing up for Blogthings Weekly!

13 thoughts on “Quiz: How Big Is Your Ego?

1. Peter

I thought I would get some something like “you have a large ego, start to notice and respect people around you” but truth is what I got is pretty accurate. I don’t need to force people to hear I am awesome especially cause I know I am.

“You are quite humble. You try not to spend too much time congratulating yourself.
    You’re proud of who you are, but you’re also secure. You don’t need to brag.

You see yourself and others in a pretty realistic way. You appreciate strengths and faults.
    You respect people and believe that you can learn from them.”

“I don’t need to force people to hear I am awesome especially cause I know I am.” – love this! I think it’s a healthy way to be 🙂

2. Rayne

My ego is also large. I think maybe social networking has allowed us to really display and nurture our egos more and more, so it’s not so much that people are becoming narcissistic, but that it’s more glaringly obvious now.

1. moonstep1969

Very spot-on, Rayne. All this talk about creating an own personal trademark and all that. Sometimes it’s nice to promote yourself, but it’s both a blessing and a curse really.

3. moonstep1969

Your Ego is Large

You’re quite happy with yourself. You can’t help but have a big ego.
    You admit that there may be other superstars in the world, but you haven’t met any.

You tend to be the brightest one in the room, and you can’t help but get a big head from it.
    Just remember that even if people know how great you are, they don’t always need to be reminded of it!

Comment: People ARE more ego driven in our society of today, I agree. I think it’s okay to praise yourself as long as you care to praise others too. (Perhaps not your worst enemy, though – gotta draw the limit somewhere. :-o) Also very important to be polite, like saying “Sorry” when they bump into you on a crowded street. The ones that never praise others or say sorry, are false egos with bad self-image, otherwise they wouldn’t feel the need to be so nonchalant.

I like the philosophy of it being okay to praise yourself if you praise others too. You may have a large ego, Monica, but you handle it with grace 🙂

Your Ego is Small

You’re proud of who you are, but you’re also secure. You don’t need to brag.

You respect people and believe that you can learn from them.

I (among others) can be better.

I got “your ego is very small,” too. I…think I’m surprised? I don’t think I’m particularly humble, and I have no problem succeeding at things! (But I don’t think they anything anyone else couldn’t do, so…maybe that’s right after all? :))

6. julie

Your ego is very small.

Yep, that’s about right I would say. Having had a few health problems to cope with can knock the stuffing out of you, and it’s hard to feel confident if you don’t feel well.

Awwww, I agree about the impact of health problems. No fun! I hope your ego gets back up its rightful size, whatever that happens to be 🙂