New Quiz: The Bookshelf Test

home library with many bookshelves full of books

What does your book collection say about you?

Does your book collection mean a lot to you? If you’re like many of the Blogthings fans I’ve talked to recently, the answer is a resounding “Yes!” It turns out that we’re a pretty literary bunch, and we love to read all sorts of things. I suppose it makes sense, since taking quizzes involves reading too, and I love how we all share our bibliophilia (and sometimes even bibliomania) with one another.

My book collection is one of my most prized possessions. It’s ebbed and flowed over the years, as I’ve moved around a lot and had to part with more of it than I’d like. Still, it remains special to me and pretty current too. If you come over to my house and browse through my books (I have several cases), you’ll really learn what I’m all about. I have old books and new books, unread books and read books, fiction and nonfiction… I like to have a mix of everything around because I’ll never know what I feel like reading.

In this age of instant digital books, it may seem a bit silly to have a physical book collection around. I disagree. I find that paper books are a great way to unplug from the world. They can’t run out of batteries or fizzle out on you. I also find browsing books to be a lot more relaxing when I’m actually looking at print titles. I don’t know about you, but my ebook collection is sort of an exercise in digital hoarding. My print collection is a lot more selective.

If you love your book collection as much as I do, I think you’ll enjoyΒ The Bookshelf Test. I tried to imagine all the different sorts of reading personalities I could think of, and I imagined what their bookshelves would look like. (Or bookcases if you’re a hardcore collector.)

Take The Bookshelf Test, and let me know what your outcome is. Does it describe your reading style? Are you a big book collector?

22 thoughts on “New Quiz: The Bookshelf Test

1. Deborah

Awww πŸ™ That’s never any good. Especially when it’s a favorite. There’s nothing like the variety and comfort of the local bookstore. I hope the rest of the bookstores in your area do well!

2. Deborah

My bookshelf is curated! Extremely accurate!

And omg yes, I agree – ebooks are cool, but there’s nothing like a print copy and the act of holding a book in my hands, taking in the feeling and the smell of the pages and just unplugging from the world for a while. I’d probably go crazy if the ebook proponents had their way, and anytime a traditional book seller goes out of business, my heart breaks a little. :/

Your Bookshelf is Comforting

It’s hard for you to pass up a book by your favorite author. Once you find a writer you love, you tend to read his or her whole catalog.

Your favorite books are full of engaging stories, relatable characters, and surprising plot twists. You like to be immersed in a story.
    You read when you want to relax a bit or get away from the dreariness of life. Nothing renews you like a book.

You love books for what’s in them, and you don’t get too caught up in the apperances of your collection.

I read some books out of curiosity, books about space or creativity.

I might be part inspring as well since I like books that are (not all kinds) artistic, beautiful, and unique and have at least some pictures. And I like originality but I won’t buy or read a book simply because it’s original (and/or artistic), it has to be something I like.

4. moonstep1969

Your Bookshelf is Informative

You collect books because you are a glutton for facts and information. You take in as much as possible.
    You never pass up a book that will teach you something new – whether it’s well written non-fiction or a classic novel.

Your favorite books are dense and full of knowledge. You like a book to rock your world and completely change the way you think.
    You read to learn and experience everything. You believe reading is the best form of travel, including time travel.

You see your book collection as a work in progress. Since you read every kind of book, you still have many to acquire.
    Over time, you’d like to have a mini-library of your own. Whenever you need to look something up, you’d like to have just the book to do it in.

Comment: Marvellous description of your books and reading habits, Blogthings. Sounds like quite an inspiring home for guests to visit! πŸ™‚

Accurate result, except for being a 95% non-fictional reader: Philosophy, international politics, history of ideas, music, travelogues, business literature… However, I love reading fables & classical novels too, such as Around The World In 80 Days, Illiad & Odyssey, One Thousand and One Nights (just begun reading the latest one!). I can relate quite much to the “Curated” result as well, books are like rare gems. (What does ‘curated’ mean? Searched online but didn’t get the hang of it.)

I definitely see you as the philosophical type, so it makes sense to me that you read lots of philosophy πŸ™‚ I’m a big fan of the genres you like as well – especially travel and good business writing (we have a lot of poor, gimmicky business writing in the States that’s hard to escape)

“Curated” means well cared for and selected, like what a curator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curator) would do with a museum collection. It’s a term that has become fashionable in the states lately as sort of a countercultural idea of simplicity and “less is more” in this age of overabundance πŸ™‚

5. Monica T.

My bookshelf is comforting, and I got to say, I think the description really matched my personality. I do love to re-read favorite stories over and over again, I tend to have all the books in my favorite writer’s catalog, I like to be immersed in a book to escape the dreariness of life, and – the most spot on description of all – well worn favorite books worth more for me than shiny hardbacks…

1. Monica T.

Yes, I do… Some of them were only held together by tapes and got some food stains on a few pages (book collectors would be so mad at me), but I love them nonetheless….

Thanks for making this quiz, kari… I really love it.

6. julie

My book shelves are curated. I am a big reader and think a house without books is pretty soulless. I am always curious to see what people read if I go into their homes for the first time – it gives you an insight into their personality far quicker than anything else. I read mostly social psychology things these days, although I have read various authors, with D.H.Lawrence being my favorite. I also enjoy the poetry of Sylvia Plath and Philip Larkin, among others, and have read various plays. Social history is another favorite, so I am quite diverse in my tastes. Reading keeps me sane! I only ever hang onto books that I would read again, and never put a book on the shelf until I have read it. What really annoys me is people who have books they have never read, and don’t intend to read; they are just something to make the place look, “classy”. Books aren’t ornaments!

I agree about books as ornaments! I’m also annoyed by it, especially if I’m in a used bookstore and I hear someone ask the clerk to pick out books that will look good on a bookcase for show. πŸ™

I got “Your Bookshelf is Comforting” and it is spot-on accurate!

“You collect books because you love to read. You love stories, and you reread your favorites over and over again.

In fact, some of your favorite books are well worn, sentimental favorites. That’s worth more to you than the latest shiny hardback.”

Yep, yep, yep! Books are wonderfully comforting things to have around. πŸ™‚

(And digital books will never be comforting old friends. Useful, especially for books that need to be updated regularly, like reference works and technical manuals and textbooks, or for travel, but they just aren’t the same.)

I agree completely. I also sometimes end up buying a book in print that I have read digitally if I love it. It’s not a part of my collection unless it’s there on my shelf.