Friday Five: Bookworm Edition

brunette woman reading a book in bed

Do you love to read? Weigh in below!

Hello! Welcome to another the Friday Five. I’ve been having so many lovely discussions with many of you about books that I felt inspired to do a book edition of the Friday Five. I’m so delighted to hear that many of you are fellow avid readers. I hope all of the readers in the group with join in and enjoy this very literary Friday Five. I even picked out some bookish gift cards to randomly give away to someone.

Please answer my Friday Five questions below. Everyone who comments below today will be automatically entered in the randomly drawn gift card contest. This week I’m giving away an Amazon.com $5 gift card and a Barnes and Noble $5 gift card to the randomly chosen winner, both courtesy ofΒ Swagbucks. (SwagbucksΒ isΒ a quick and dirty place to earn free gift cards that I am obsessed with.) If you don’t want to enter but still want to comment, just say that somewhere in your comment.

Without further ado… here are the Friday Five questions for this week. Simply answer below in a comment πŸ™‚

Friday Five –Β Bookworm Edition

1. What book(s) are you currently reading?
  2. What’s the last great book you read that you can recommend without reservation?
  3. How do you get most of your books? New bookstore? Ebooks? Used bookstore? Library? Friends?
  4. If you were going to write a book, what kind of book would it be?
  5. What Kind of Book Are You?Β Take the quiz and share your result. Is it true?

40 thoughts on “Friday Five: Bookworm Edition

What book(s) are you currently reading? – The Long Tail

What’s the last great book you read that you can recommend without reservation? – Wild … less overrated than I expected πŸ™‚

How do you get most of your books? New bookstore? Ebooks? Used bookstore? Library? Friends? – Oh, so many ways. Used book shopping. Shopping at new book (indie) stores. Amazon. Indie online publishers for ebooks.

If you were going to write a book, what kind of book would it be? – I have a strange historical fiction / sci-fi / business book hybrid idea I’ve thought about for a while

What Kind of Book Are You? Take the quiz and share your result. Is it true? – I got humor… I’m not sure if it’s true. People who know me in real life say I’m very funny, but I don’t perceive myself that way.

2. Clyde Penman

1: (rereading) Inheritance, (first time reading) The Poems of Sapphos

2: Clan of the Cave Bear

3: I get most of my books from used bookstores, thrift stores and friends. There really isn’t any one place I mainly get my books at, they all come from a unique place.

4: Actually… I’m in the middle of writing a book. It’s an Alice in Wonderland/ Wizard of Oz type book. But with my own world, not a fan fiction or origin story.

5: Fantsasy/ Sci-Fi, and I actually agree with that one! Although, I admit, I’m not as “quirky” or “eccentric” as some ^^

I’m so envious of fantasy writers like you who can make their own world. So amazing! Keep us updated about your book πŸ™‚

3. Ariana

1. Misfortune and Shanghai Girls
    2. The Good Earth
    3. These days I normally order my books online, but before that I would head to my local Borders (which sadly shut down a few years ago).
    4. I would probably write a drama.
    5. SciFi/Fantasy, according to my results, though I also agree that I match well with Realistic Fiction and/or Mystery.

I miss Borders too! It was my favorite store at my nearby outdoor mall, and I always miss the good times I had browsing there.

4. Maura Kastner

1. Currently re-reading the Uglies Trilogy I loved in High School so many years ago.
    2. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
    3. Any bookstore or friends.
    4. I am writing a few, my longest spanning one is about a girl who dies and is taken to another “level” of the universe in which she lives in a fantasy world where she must find her place and purpose as she couldn’t find it in her previous, boring life. She died because she choked on popcorn, being a recluse, no one found her until it was too late. It’s a meaningful young adult novel with over 25 chapters.
    5. I got fantasy/sci fi which is very true. The genres are hard to deal with but do lend themselves to anything imaginable.

5. Michelle C.

1. Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, it’s a wonderful Christian devotional book.
    2. Hmmmm I would have to give that a lot of thought. I mostly read Christian fiction and historical fiction. For Christian fiction, I’d say Band of Sisters by Cathy Gohlke. For historical, I enjoy Tasha Alexander’s Lady Emily mysteries.
    3. New bookstore, ebooks, used bookstore, and librrary.
    4. Historical fiction.
    5. Fantasy/Sci Fi. I love the description, but that’s my least favorite fiction genre. The only fantasy series I like is the Harry Potter series.

6. Hope Yates

1. Ebook called Deadly Aim. 2.Last book I’d recommend is Game of Thrones-before the tv treatment 3.I get my books anywhere I can. I just recently was given a Nook so the ebooks are new to me. 4. I think it would probably be a fantasy/sci-fi book-less research for me to do. 5. I am humor. Yeah-I think that’s pretty accurate.

I’m working my way through the Game of Thrones series. So amazing, and so much better than the TV series (although I like the series too).

7. Autumn Stone

1. I’m reading The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
    2. “The Host” By Stephanie Meyers.
    3. Powell’s Bookstore
    4. Fantasy
    5. Fantasy/Sci Fi. And it’s soooo true.

8. Caitlin

What book(s) are you currently reading? Star Wars books mostly, re-reading certain parts of Dragonlance also.
    What’s the last great book you read that you can recommend without reservation? Villains By Necessity (By, Eve Forward)
    How do you get most of your books? Chapters or the second hand book store.
    If you were going to write a book, what kind of book would it be? Fantasy!
    What Kind of Book Are You?Β Take the quiz and share your result. Is it true? I got Fantasy/Sci-Fi and Yes.

1. Mostly art books; teaching myself.
    2. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
    3. If not a “real” book from my husband then a kindle version or a new bookstore for art books that can’t be ebooks and sometimes from the library.
    4. Popular Psychology genre
    5. “You Are Fantasy / Sci Fi. You have an amazing imagination, and in your mind, all things are possible. You are open minded, and you find the future exciting. You crave novelty and progress. Compared to most people, you are quirky and even a bit eccentric. You have some wacky ideas. And while you may be a bit off the wall, there’s no denying how insightful and creative you are.” While the description is true of me and i suppose it fits the genre as well, I wouldn’t have considered Fantasy/SciFi as having anything to do with me really. Although I do like some Fantasy/Scifi.

1. It’s been a little while but I’ve got a bookmark in one called Ramona Quimby age 8
    2. Heidi Heckelbeck maybe?
    3. From Wal-Mart or Target (though it seems I’ll have to order a couple)
    4. How to stay yourself and have hope (with a little angst here and there) in a world that seems to have a more problems than it used to. Or something for kids mainly about how to be yourself instead of conforming/changing to please people (among other kinds of lessons).
    5. You Are Fantasy / Sci Fi

Post it now!

1. Christine- Stephen King
    2. The Other Boleyn Girl- Phillipa Gregory
    3. Used bookstore
    4. Autobiography
    5. Realistic Fiction. Yes it is true! for the most part πŸ™‚

Oops, can you reply to this with your name / contact info entered? I can verify that it’s you if you use the same internet connection you just used. I want your entry to get credit =)

12. Meagan

1) Hearts in Darkness by Laurence Kate 2) the taker by alma katsu 3) Library and amazon 4) Most likely a romantic thriller/suspense 5) realistic fiction It’s true somewhat. πŸ™‚

13. Aisha Milburn

1. “The Rich Are Different.”
    2. “The Firm”
    3. Used bookstore
    4. Fiction
    5. Humor; mostly true. I see myself as a dramedy. πŸ™‚

14. Kat

1. I am currently reading “Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister” By Gregory Maquire
    2. “Revolution” by Jennifer Donnelly
    3. I get most of my books from Amazon or Hastings.
    4. If I were to write a book it would be about my life and all the struggles I’ve faced.
    5. I am Fantasy/Sci Fi

15. Jei-Jei

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Ken Kesey)
    2. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
    3. It varies a lot, from browsing at book stores / libraries to reading about them online.
    4. Fantasy
    5. I am Fantasy / Sci Fi.

I read One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest long ago and loved it. I also recommend the film, if you haven’t seen it already πŸ™‚

16. Laura

1. I am currently reading Christopher Moore’s Lamb.
    2. Under the Dome by Stephen King
    3. paperbackswap.com
    4. short stories. horror or comedy
    5. I am Fantasy / Sci Fi.

Yay, books!

1. Currently working my way (again!) through the Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout; also in the middle of Witold Rybczynski’s “Makeshift Metropolis” and Nora Roberts’ “Happily Ever After.”

2. Bill Bryson’s “At Home”

3. Online bookstore, real paper books–both new and used. (Prefer to get used, most of the time.)

4. I’d probably go for a fantasy novel.

5. Ha! I got “You are Fantasy / Sci Fi.” (And I took it after answering #4! :D)

I love Bill Bryson too! I am also a big used book fan, although I think you probably have better resources for browsing used books in NYC than here in Austin. I do what I can though πŸ™‚