Friday Five: Healthy Habits Edition

bowl of raspberries outside

What’s your favorite way to be healthy?

Hi! Welcome to the first Friday Five of 2013. I thought that this would be a great time to have a discussion about healthy habits, even if none if us are hardcore enough to do resolutions. Taking care of my health is getting more important to me every year, and I’m always looking for new healthy ideas and inspiration. Do you feel the same way? If you do (or simply if you’d like to be healthier), join us below in the Friday Five.

Please answer my Friday Five questions below. Everyone who comments below today will be automatically entered in the randomly drawn gift card contest. This week I’m giving away an Amazon.com $5 gift card and a Target $5 gift card to the randomly chosen winner, both courtesy of Swagbucks. (Swagbucks is an easy place to earn free gift cards that I really love.) If you don’t want to enter but still want to comment, just say that somewhere in your comment.

So here we go… here are the Friday Five questions for this week. Just answer below in a comment 🙂

Friday Five – Healthy Habits Edition

1. What does eating healthy mean to you?
  2. What’s a healthy food that you love?
  3. What is your favorite way to get in some exercise?
  4. What’s the biggest change you’ve made recently to improve your health?
  5. What’s Your Healthiest Habit? Take the quiz and share your result. Is it true?

22 thoughts on “Friday Five: Healthy Habits Edition

1. Caisey

Eating healthy for me means finding something that is good for what your body needs. If you’re deficient in iron, find something that increases that! And so on. It’s for energy, and it’s the right amounts as well. A diet is the way you eat, not how much you’re NOT eating.
    I personally LOVE fresh fruit and cheeses. Such a good combination, and awesome ingredients.
    I run and dance, a lot. Sometimes I’ll take one of my favorite music videos and learn the dance from it, just for fun. OH AND QUIDDITCH (yes, it’s a sport)
    I started taking a multivitamin supplement, because it encouraged me to not only eat better, but eat enough so I could balance everything out. I’ve also removed a lot of chemicals from my beauty regimen (that counts, right?)

Your Healthiest Habit is Exercising Regularly- No surprise there 🙂

2. Jessika (@tako_kisu)

What does eating healthy mean to you?
    Plenty of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. As few unpronounceable ingredients as possible is always a good rule to live by too. Also, water, water, water!

What’s a healthy food that you love?
    Brussels Sprouts!

What is your favorite way to get in some exercise?
    Hula Hooping!

What’s the biggest change you’ve made recently to improve your health?
    Being careful to drink plenty of water

What’s Your Healthiest Habit? Take the quiz and share your result. Is it true?
    The quiz says my healthiest habit is moderation. I’d say that’s pretty true. The only time I get myself in to trouble is when I throw moderation out the window.

I love hula hooping! I actually even did a little today because it was rainy and cold. I figured it could count as my exercise 🙂

3. Michelle C.

1. Portion control which is something I am really working on. I’m not totally there yet, but I’m making improvements.

2. Watermelon

3. Walking, it’s low impact, which is good for me, because I honestly have a lot of weight to lose, and arthritis.

4. Not eating after 9 pm. Although, I tend to break that just a little on the weekends.

5. My result was practicing moderation, which I believe is accurate.

I do a lot of walking too, for similar reasons. I am a huge fan of low impact exercise, and I find that it’s easier to get myself to walk on a rough day than get to the gym.

Totally hear you on the not eating late at night thing. Working on that one myself 😉

4. Peri

1. Healthy eating is not only what you eat but how much you eat, maybe even more so. Portion control is the answer! It’s not about cutting out sweets and fats completely…it’s knowing you can’t have them every day and that when you do eat them, you shouldn’t engorge yourself with them until you are sick.

2. I love asparagus. I could eat it every day.

3. I like to do aerobic workouts set to music. I also like to swim.

4. I have been using safflower oil in my cooking instead of extra virgin olive oil. It’s supposedly a better fat burner and contains linoleic acid which is good for your heart.

5. My healthiest habit is practicing moderation! I do believe it is true, but as the great Oscar Wilde once said, “Everything in moderation, including moderation”.

Yes, I so agree with you about portion control. In my experience, cutting out all the “bad stuff” leads to extreme deprivation and overcompensating later.

Love asparagus! I’ve been on a roasting kick lately 🙂

Aha! A Friday Five I can feel virtuous about! 🙂

1. What does eating healthy mean to you?
    Fruits, vegetables, whole grains–and as little pre-prepared as possible.

2. What’s a healthy food that you love?
    Berries and nuts. (Mmmmmm, nuts–but they are not lo-cal!)

3. What is your favorite way to get in some exercise?
    T’ai chi! I love it sooooo much.

4. What’s the biggest change you’ve made recently to improve your health?
    Paying much more attention to computer/desk ergonomics–posture, enforced hourly breaks, and I put padding on my desk chair arms so I USE them.

5. What’s Your Healthiest Habit? Take the quiz and share your result. Is it true?
    I got “Your Healthiest Habit is Practicing Moderation”–which yeah, that’s true!

Oh yes, ergonomics are so crucial! Something I need to work on more for sure. It’s hard to take a break when it’s time, but I pay for it later if I don’t.

6. Kate McL

What does eating healthy mean to you?
    eating low calorie foods, more fruits and veggies
    What’s a healthy food that you love?
    carrots!
    What is your favorite way to get in some exercise?
    running. also sit ups and push ups
    What’s the biggest change you’ve made recently to improve your health?
    set a more routine workout schedule
    What’s Your Healthiest Habit? Take the quiz and share your result. Is it true?
    Your Healthiest Habit is Eating Well…..i think it’s true, do to heath reasons i have to watch what i eat anyway so it makes sense.

1. Just don’t eat/drink too much junk (this is something I’m working on)
    2. Does slim fast count?
    3. I used to bike ride and play sports sometimes now I just walk almost everyday.
    4. I’m trying to drink and eat more healthy stuff (as long as they taste good enough)
    5. Your Healthiest Habit is Practicing Moderation

What does eating healthy mean to you? Fresh, whole foods; moderate portions; small indulgences; not going to bed full

What’s a healthy food that you love? Berries, dark chocolate, and well prepared kale

What is your favorite way to get in some exercise? Mr. Blogthings and I take a lot of walks – also I practice yoga

What’s the biggest change you’ve made recently to improve your health? Stress management 😉

What’s Your Healthiest Habit? Take the quiz and share your result. Is it true? My result says moderation, which I think is true for me. I think extremes (diets, exercise plans, habits) tend to throw one off track