What Lunar Phase Are You?

What phase of the moon best suits you?

Do you subscribe to the philosophy that the cycle of the moon affects how we feel and behave? As you might have noticed, the word “lunatic” comes from the idea of the moon… or “luna” in Latin. Long ago, people used to believe that the full moon could make us crazy – and I’m not just talking about werewolf stories! Modern psychology has mostly debunked this theory of the full moon making us insane, but studies have suggested that we behave differently depending on the lunar phase. During the full moon phase, people have more sleep disturbances – possibly just due to more light in the sky.

After doing research, I’m not sure that the moon has a big impact on how we behave. Still, I am interested in the different phases of the moon and what they have traditionally meant to people. I think there tends to be a grain of truth to folk wisdom, even if science hasn’t proven it yet. We seem to believe that the phases of the moon are important, and I would be at least willing to bet that our personal affinity towards certain lunar phases says something about us.

I decided to do some research on lunar phases and what they mean for different cultures. Fascinating stuff! It turns out that each lunar phase has a distinct feel and meaning, and they’re pretty similar cross culturally. I really like the distinctness and richness of thinking in these terms, especially because it’s so cyclical. Of course, I ended up writing a whole quiz about it: What Lunar Phase Are You?

What do you think of this  What Lunar Phase Are You?  Do you agree that lunar phases are an important part of this world? What was your outcome? Is there a phase of the moon you like the best?

18 thoughts on “What Lunar Phase Are You?

You Are the Waning Moon

You are most aligned with the waning moon which represents reflection and cleansing.
    You enjoy spending a good deal of time alone. You like to spend a lot of time thinking.

You are independent, iconoclastic, and countercultural. You won’t except the status quo.
    You’re rational when things are chaotic, and for you, reason always prevails.

2. Anna

You Are the New Moon

“You are most aligned with the new moon which represents rest, reflection, and renewal.”

I’m always trying to improve. Definitely often reflecting and renewing.

“You are appreciative of all of the good things in your life. You count your blessings.”

I am lucky to have a good life filled with great people.

“You are good natured and people enjoy your company. You put people at ease and make them feel at home with you.”

Haha, I don’t know about that.

“In your group of friends, you are the intuitive one. You understand and empathize with others.”

I’m a bit of an armchair psychologist. I can sometimes find out how someone can deal with their problems.

3. Monica T.

I got Full Moon…
    That’s indeed my favourite moon phase. When I’m looking at a full moon, I always feel inspired, energized, lighten up, and yet so serene and peaceful… 🙂

That sounds very lovely! After seeing everyone’s comments, I’m even more convinced about the power and relevance of lunar phases 🙂

4. Meghan

I got the waning moon… I agreed with it, except for the iconoclastic part. I found that rather insulting. Otherwise, fun quiz!

I meant “one who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions” nothing having to do with religion. I hope that is less insulting to you now that you knew my intent 🙂

5. Tara

“You are a Full Moon–

You are most aligned with the full moon which represents abundance and possibilities. You are open to the world, and that’s part of what makes you unforgettable. You are free-spirited.

You are a vibrant person who can’t help but leave a mark everywhere. You want to create something amazing. You have a kind spirit, and you bring happiness to everyone you know.”
    ——————————————————————
    Yay, I love the moon! In all of its phases but especially when it’s full, lights up the whole earth. One of my favorite things about how my room is set up is that I can see the moon outside my window when I lay down to go to sleep 🙂

I definitely believe that the moon effects how people feel–but not how they behave–behavior is a choice 😉 Anyways, I didn’t really think about it before I started practicing yoga but I really started noticing the effects. Later, someone explained to me why that is. We all know that the moon effects the tides of the earth (a.k.a, water, lol), yes? The human body is made up of what percentage of water, 75%? So, it makes sense that the moon has an effect on the water in our body as well. Not only does it make sense but I actually feel the differences.

In the style of yoga that I practice, Ashtanga, the suggestion is to not practice on “moon days,” either the full or new moon, when it’s effects are highest. The thinking goes that during a full moon we tend to more energetic and more emotional but not very grounded. Whereas a new moon tends to have a more grounding, low energy effect making us feel less inclined to a lot of physical activity. Here’s a short but really good explanation of what I’m talking about: http://www.ashtangayogacenter.com/moon.html

That’s really interesting about Ashtanga and the moon. I had noticed that the center near me (still too chicken to go) had moon days off, but I had no idea what that was all about 🙂

I love a full moon as well. We get some big, bold ones in Texas that I had never seen before. When I lived elsewhere, we sometimes saw the moon during the day… that was very cool too 🙂

6. Monica Erikson

LOVE this quiz topic Blogthings! 🙂

You Are the Full Moon

You have a kind spirit, and you bring happiness to everyone you know.